Sandra Lee | 2011-06-10 08:45:38
Vibrant vegetable sides are quite easy to put together. This Summer Squash Casserole recipe features fresh, healthy summer squash to round out your warm-weather meal. Summer Squash Casserole is a very tasty way to enjoy in-season veggies like summer squash and zucchini. Chicken stock, black pepper, sliced green onions and finely crushed pita chips are also among the ingredients for this tasty summer side dish. In order to keep it simple, and keep it smart, I recommend using Pyrex® glass bakeware for this recipe. And, remember to follow these four simple rules as recommended by Pyrex when cooking with glass bakeware: Always place hot glass bakeware on a dry, cloth potholder or towel. Never put glass bakeware directly on a burner or under a broiler. Always allow the oven to fully preheat before placing glass bakeware in the oven. Always cover the bottom of the dish with liquid before cooking meat or vegetables.
Cheers to happy, healthy cooking! Enjoy!
Recipe: Summer Squash Casserole
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice, Minute
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- ¾ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¾ cup thinly sliced zucchini
- ¾ cup thinly sliced yellow squash
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely crushed pita chips, Stacy’s
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting 1 ¾ cups chicken stock for water.
- Add remaining ¼ cup stock, sour cream, green onions, ½ teaspoon garlic salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to cooked rice, stirring well.
- Pour rice mixture in the bottom of a Pyrex® 2-qt (Oblong) glass bakeware dish. Top evenly with zucchini and squash, overlapping slices. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon garlic salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until squash is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Top evenly with pita chip crumbs. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese melts.